The National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) and the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) are now accepting nominees for their 2019 awards.
The Academy is the highest recognition body for science and technology in the Philippines. It honors outstanding Filipino scientists for their achievements in research and development.
Among these honors is the conferment of the Order of National Scientist by the President of the Republic of the Philippines. This is the highest honor given to a Filipino man or woman of science. To date, there have been a total of 41 National Scientists in the Philippines since 1976.
The Academy also offers membership (and the title of “Academician”) to Filipino scientists with significant contributions to the fields of science and technology in the Philippines.
NAST PHL Awards for 2019
The Academy is searching for exemplary Filipino science practitioners who fall under the following categories:
1. Outstanding Young Scientists
2. TWAS Prize for Young Scientist in the Philippines (Chemistry)
3. NAST Environmental Science Award
4. NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists
5. NAST Award for Outstanding Research in Tropical Medicine
6. Geminiano T. De Ocampo Visionary Award for Medical Research
7. Outstanding Book/Monograph Award
8. Outstanding Scientific Paper Award
DOST Awards for 2019
The DOST is also searching for nominees for the following awards:
1. NSTW Outstanding Science Administrator Award – Dioscoro L. Umali Medal
2. NSTW Outstanding Technology Commercialization Award – Gregorio Y. Zara Medal
3. NSTW Outstanding Research and Development Award
a. For Basic Research – Eduardo A. Quisumbing Medal
b. For Applied Research – Julian A. Banzon Medal
4. Magsaysay Future Engineers/Technologists Award (MFET)
Visit http://nast.ph/index.php/about-nast/functions/recognition for more information on the various awards, including individual qualification requirements.
You may submit your nominations for the aforementioned awards from now until November 29, 2018. Take note, however, that the deadline for the Magsaysay Future Engineers/Technologists Award is on July 31, 2019. The nomination forms are available for downloading via the following link: http://nast.ph/index.php/downloads/category/30-nomination-forms
In addition to its call for nominees, the Academy is also accepting abstracts for its upcoming Scientific Poster Session. The deadline for submission of abstracts is on January 15, 2019. You may follow the official NAST Facebook page for updates on their Call for Papers.
Author: Mikael Angelo Francisco
Bitten by the science writing bug, Mikael has years of writing and editorial experience under his belt. As the editor-in-chief of FlipScience, Mikael has sworn to help make science more fun and interesting for geeky readers and casual audiences alike.